Thursday, June 7, 2012

I respect my parents


Is there a price tag for respect?  Yes and no. As a parent my husband and I have struggled with how to really teach respect.  My kids are reaching the age of talking back, negative attitude, sarcasm, etc.  We are making an extra effort to exemplify respect to our children (yes, I have worked on my road ranting at other cars so my children see that even if a really dumb driver does something dangerous and almost hits us, I still do not lose my cool).  It's a daily struggle to remind my children that no matter how tired, disappointed or upset they are, it is not okay to take it out on me.

My one son particularly struggles--the most independent of course. The more he can do, the less he seems willing to understand that mom and dad still have say, and yes, you do have to talk nicely to us. The school introduced a Tae Kwon Do PE program and my daughter participated. At her graduation, my husband and I looked at each other and paid for a 7 week course for my independent son.

Each morning before he leaves for school, he recites a special creed:

I RESPECT MY PARENTS,
I RESPECT MY TEACHERS,
I RESPECT MY FRIENDS,
I RESPECT MYSELF,
Ma'am/SIR.

This whole month, while he learns to defend himself with special kicks and moves (which he absolutely loves), he is also learning about immediately answering his elders, bowing respectfully and working on the character trait of kindness. Every time I catch him being kind, I praise him and write it down. Every 7 instances earn him a stripe and every three stripes earn him a star on his uniform. His Master inquires at his improvement and asks what he can do to help.

The price tag is a little steep considering we have vehicles and medical bills that we are trying to pay off but I'm doing everything in my power to keep him in the program. How can I not when I see him succeed physically in Tae, emotionally improve, and have wonderful evenings where he asks what he can do to help?  We all need our outlets and for something so important as gaining more self-control and respect, I'm willing to pull out the checkbook to give my son a few more positive role models in his life.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! That seems like the perfect motivation for a kid like Ted. He's going to do amazing things in life.

    ReplyDelete