Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A lot like Christmas

I normally decorate the day after Thanksgiving. As a kid, my dad would get the tree up as soon as my mom would let him--the day after Thanksgiving. I loved decorating for Christmas. This year my normal enthusiasm has been curbed by illness. Stupid thing is still lingering. My daughter started with a high fever the Saturday before Thanksgiving and my husband and I are still fighting it off. As days passed without the cheery decorations, I felt more Grinchy, my husband might say grouchy. Finally I resolved to decorate no matter what on Monday. I spent half the morning getting the decoration all set and left just the tree to decorate.

Tuesday night after dinner, my kids rushed for pj's because then they could decorate the tree. Each child has a series of ornaments all their own. They love to handle them and choose the right spot. My Aunt is like a Head Elf, gifting Christmas ornaments each year. Since my husband and I have been married (almost 10 years) she's given us an ornament for Christmas, a family one and one for each child. The family ones are the most adorable. We have Peas in Pod with all five names on it, Reindeer, Elves, Stockings and last Christmas, Five Frogs with dangling legs sitting on a log. By beating my OCD to a pulp each year, I manage to let the kids ornaments hang mostly where they were set (I have to move those that would fall). By the end, I'm ready for Christmas and the kids can't wait to see what I have in store for underneath.

With the tree all set, I can now enjoy the evening in the glow of Christmas lights. I LOVE Christmas lights. When I was little, if there was an extra strand not in use, my dad would let me use it in my room. My husband calls me Cat woman because I prefer naturally lighting to electric or florescent lighting and consequently go around the house turning off lights. Each Christmas, as soon as I get the lights up, the evenings are lit by Christmas lights. So, FINALLY, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment