Monday, November 21, 2011

The Force

My littlest one is obsessed with all things Star Wars. Each year for their birthdays, I ask my children what type of cake do they want. I've made many types over the years: 3D girl cake, 3D Teddy Bear cake, trains, Candyland cakes, Butterflies cake, fairy cakes, etc. My older boy is not a fan of cake and, a boy after my own heart, has requested cheesecake and other such wonderful desserts. My older daughter is more into strawberry type desserts now. My youngest still likes the more fun shaped cakes. He challenged my creativity when he asked for a Death Star cake.

I thought about cutting a circle out of 13X9 cake. But what fun would that be? He's only 6 once. I used a 50% coupon for Michael's and bought a sports ball cake pan. Years of cake-making taught me to use pound cake for 3D shapes. Thanks to the Internet, I learned of setting the 3D ball on a cake base so it didn't crumble apart. While he initially asked for the unfinished Death Star in the 6th movie, I sadly informed him there would be no way to keep the Death Star intact for long if I hacked into it early. He was thrilled when I told him I would use candy to decorate it. Everyone wanted a piece of the Death Star, especially the Junior Mint deflector array.


Most importantly, my little Jedi lit up and the Force was with him for his entire birthday from the Glow in the dark new Star Wars shirt, the Lightsaber guide book, Yoda marshmallow sucker, Luke Skywalker puzzle, Lego Star Wars Character Cards, R2D2 Operation, FX Anakin Lightsaber, and Lego Star Wars sets that have been played with almost non-stop.


Did I mention he liked Star Wars?

No comments:

Post a Comment